Sunday 23 November 2014

Progress update; November

Since the Royal Parks Half Marathon I have continued training with it's usual highs and lows! Here is an update on progress. 

I bought some compression socks just before the Royal Parks, as had heard good things about them in terms of aiding recovery. You can wear them pre, during and post run. I tend to put them on for my long runs, and then leave them on whilst I cool down and stretch out. I went for the More Miles brand, which are easily available on eBay, Amazon etc. These are very much at the cheaper end of the scale - but I think they do the job. They are a bit thin for me to wear on their own while running, so I layer them with my normal socks and this keeps me comfortable and blister free.

Talking of blisters - I also have been trying out different ways to lace my trainers lately, plus different socks! I have tended to suffer in the past with blisters along the arches of my feet, and also with pain at the top of my foot when my trainers were too tight. What has made this better, and I think this is very much personal preference by the way, is wearing a double layer of socks, as previously mentioned, and also lacing my shoes different. What I do now is lace all the way up to the second to last hole, and then put the lace through the hole on the same side - to make a loop. You the cross the laces, put then through the opposite loop, and tie! This has made my foot secure without being to tight on the whole foot. I think to be honest I was wearing my training to tight - and trying to run with proper form and my feel underneath me has helped with foot issues also.

I have continued using my foam roller, although I need to remember not to get complacent and neglect to roll! I roll before I go out on runs I the evening, plus when I get back (although haven't done this a couple of time as I've collapsed on the sofa - not ideal). I also try and do it when I get up in the morning as this is when I feel the most achy and stiff. I also bought a resistance band to use for stretching and strength. I do believe now that some of my knee problems were to do with my hips/feet. We were also taught some great exercises to do pre and post run at the Whizz-Kidz training day last Saturday. 

Another think I have had to think more about is being careful when running in the dark! With the evenings drawing in, by the time I get home from work it is pretty dark! I was happily sprinting around a couple of weeks ago, when I went to cross a road and completely misjudged the kerb...falling flat out into the road! I managed to get up an hobble to the other side, but I was seriously panicking. The pain was pretty bad. I was thinking broken ankle, torn ligaments, all sorts. I also wasn't wearing reflective gear and I didn't even have my phone with me- luckily I wasn't too far from home. I quickly put my ankle in iced water with frozen peas when I got in, and kept it elevated. It was quite painful that night and the next morning, but I was happy I hadn't done something major and could still walk at least. However, after a day at work the next day it literally turned into an elephant foot (please see below)!! 


Luckily after icing it that night and keeping it up, most of the swelling went down by the next day, and there was no pain. I feel very lucky as it could have been much worse - and now I am really careful when running in the dark and negotiating kerbs.

I've been so busy at work recently that I haven't had much of a chance to fundraise, although I did do a cake sale in the office, and have started posting more on Instagram to raise awareness of what I'm doing. Sadly, the school where my Dad used to work can't help me by holding fundraising events, as they are currently fundraising for something else themselves. This is quite a big blow to me - however I will just need to think carefully about who else I can approach. My Mum's school are also unable to help for a similar reason - so I really need to stay positive and get asking! Any ideas gratefully received.


I recorded a video at the Whizz-Kidz training day about why I chose Whizz-Kidz, and I was so proud to do it. I think they will use it to recruit other runners. I hope dad is looking down on me and I will do my best to raise lots of money and complete the marathon to made him proud. 



My nephew is now crawling and has two teeth! What a clever boy:)




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like another "eventful" time for you especially the sprain. I did my ankle 2 weeks before doing Boston marathon but with a bit of physio and strapping I did it. They say rest for 6 weeks but that's easier said than done. I would suggest to support it whilst running for the next month or so as it will be weaker whilst it recovers. You can either get one of the ankle supports from Boots which compress and support it or use elasticated, adhesive bandage to strap it in a "figure of 8" strapping - allows up and down running movement but supports side to side. Hope it recovers very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your advice! I did get the elasticated bandage which helped - shook me up a bit though. I am now very careful when negotiating kerbs...!

    ReplyDelete