Saturday 28 March 2015

March's running highs and lows

Reading Half Marathon had been firmly booked in my diary for months now. This was the very first race I completed with me sister, so it felt very nostalgic for me. We completed the race in 2hrs 56 minutes and went across the line holding hands! 

We stayed at a Travelodge again the night before the race this year, which is a 15 minute walk to the start line. Aside from being nostalgic, this race is a fantastic one to take part in. The atmosphere is incredible and there is support virtually all the way round the course. There is an abundance of portaloos, bands playing, and thousands of runners. A breathtaking finish within the Madjeski Stadium caps it all off - as you enter the area the crowd roar!

I had pretty much got my pre race rituals down now - get up early, eat porridge and a banana, also some malt loaf for more energy! Have some drink with electrolyte tabs but not too much, number on, warm up. Having predicted I would run a faster time this year, I was placed in the red start zone, which I didn't realise at first was in a totally different place to the others, so went the wrong way! It wouldn't be me without some kind of drama thought right?!

I knew the course vaguely from the previous two years; through the university, the town, Green Park. I kept a good and steady pace which I was pleased with - although with marathon training plus lack of speed work, I just didn't have the speed endurance in my legs. So I was surprised when I came in a few seconds under my PB - 1.34.05! I also got a bit of a tan as it was so hot!


My training is also going well - I have really started to enjoy cross training by lifting weights and doing gym classes, which I believe is helping my posture and strength in the later miles of running. I am so greatful that some friends from the running club are keen on doing long runs together - the company makes such a difference. We have done a few 20 milers which has built my confidence, and I have had practise at getting up ridiculously early to eat, and using gels as I run. One memorable run was in the absolute pouring rain, and we managed to get lost and had to run alongside the A289 with massive lorries spraying us! Not fun.


My last race before the marathon was to be the Folkstone 10. I quite like 10 miles races as a distance, and this course was meant to be flat along the seafront.

We went down there on a drizzly grey day, and the first part of the race was around a field - you can imagine I nearly stacked it various times. However practically the whole race was an out and back along the promenade, not incredibly interesting, but you can get a good pace going, and also see members of the club to give encouragement too on the out and back! 

I was really happy with another PB of 1hr 10 and I felt strong at the end. I also had a great sports massage there, which although hurt like anything, made my legs feel light as a feather afterwards!


No comments:

Post a Comment