Thursday 14 August 2014

Running history

I started running after university in 2011 as a way to keep fit and to challenge myself! The first long run I completed was a 6 miler in London with my team from work - in around an hour and in my old cheerleading shoes!

Almost straight after this I entered the Reading Half Marathon, which my sister was already doing. I got some new shoes  - Karrimor as these were the cheapest I could find in Sports Direct - and set about building up the miles. I ran almost every day after work, then did a long run at the weekends.
 

That year, it poured with rain and didn't stop pouring the whole way round! We squelched round in 1hr 56, holding hands at the finish! I still remember the runner's high at the end, and I still had a bit left in my legs! After this race I also purchased my first pair of Asics, and haven't looked back since!
 
 
I then completed a 5 mile run at the Olympic Park. There were a lot of bottlenecks on this course...and it possibly wasn't the right choice for competitive people like me!! I did this in 42 mins.

 
Run to the Beat came next, my second half marathon. Having not trained as much and with hot weather and a crowded course, I managed 1hr57 which I was pleased with.

I also ran the Gosport half marathon that November. I found this really tough - and it taught me that you shouldn't be complacent! My training was wrong - not enough long runs, my fuelling wasn't great, and I struggled with the no headphone rule. This is the first time I have "hit the wall" during a run. My legs just felt like they could go on, my chest felt right, my breathing was ragged. My legs were so heavy. I remember shouting at my friend that I couldn't carry on, and she was trying to shout encouragement back at me, whilst looking very fresh herself! I ultimately overcame it by focusing on my breathing and completing  one step at a time, and struggled over the line in 1hr58. Then nearly passed out!
 

After this setback, I booked myself onto Reading Half for the following year, and learnt from the experience. I started mixing long runs with gym strengthening classes, interval training and learnt more about pre and mid race nutrition. I finished in 1hr52 and was delighted, web managing a sprint finish at the end!
 

 
I improved on this time in the Milton Keynes Half Marathon, where I got myself up the front at the start to try to stick to pace! Although struggling slightly with the muggy weather, I finished in 1hr47 which I was really pleased with.
 
 
As I had been doing more speed work, I entered the Harvel 5 miler, a race with hills, woods, and beer on the way round - which I declined! I finished this race as the 4th fastest woman, in 37 minutes.y lovely little Nephew (pictured) gave me the strength for a sprint finish! Although my old faithful Asics have me blisters along the inside of my arch! Time for a new pair...

 
The Brentwood 10k is my latest race, which I completed in 47 mins as the 5th fastest woman. By then, I new I had a place in the marathon, so was trying to build up miles as well as keeping speed and strength work up. 

Booked in so far race wise up to the marathon I have: Les Witton Dartford 10 miler, Royal Parks Half Marathon, Brighton 10k, and Reading Half Marathon 2015. Fingers crossed training goes to plan...!

No comments:

Post a Comment