Tuesday 9 September 2014

Trainers, technique and cakes!

How is it mid August already?! Time flies! I've stuck with the routine of gym classes and a few short runs during the week, and then a longer run in the morning at the weekend. I got up to 15 miles a few weeks ago which I was pleased with - especially as training near home involves a fair few inclines! The Garmin that I was given for my birthday is  so so good! I really like seeing how far I've managed to run, and it tells me my pace every mile. This has really helped me try and even out my pace on the longer runs, and realise that I was charging off too fast and then flaking out! 



I've really tried to work on my technique too, and read lots of articles and opinions on this - as I have suffered with shin pain in the past. I've found that concentrating on trying to run as lightly as possible, making sure my feet don't turn in when I run, running more on the mid/forefront of my foot and concentrating on posture has sorted this out for now. Of course as I continue to build the miles it may return, but I'm hoping that keeping good form will help. I recently had my gait analysed, and was told I don't over or under pronate - which is good news!

I've also got another pair of trainers to swap in for training runs, as I read that changing up your trainers can help avoid injury. I now have two pairs of Asics, and my beautiful pink Nikes for speed and gym work! 


I also started my first bit of fundraising for Whizz Kidz, with a cake sale at work! It went well...


Since the 15 mile a few weeks ago, I haven't managed to go any further, mainly because I've had plans at the weekends! I think sacrifices will have to be made when I get into training properly...I think the fear of race day will get me going!!

No comments:

Post a Comment