Thursday 25 September 2014

Race Report: Les Witton Dartford 10 mile race, 21.09.14

I didn't feel particularly good or confident the day before this race. I spent the majority of the day foam rolling, stretching, stuffing my face, drinking water and moaning/worrying about my knee. Even though I had got in a couple of nice fast session that week, it was aching a bit off and on. The phrase "runner's knee" was on repeat in my head...!

After a fitful night's sleep, my alarm gaily went off at 6am, and I was ready to (foam) roll. I packed a bag full of supplies - coconut water, lucozade, snacks etc and got into the running attire. We had to leave the house at 7am to make the ridiculous early start time of 8.30am, booo! I had a banana in the car plus some jelly babies beforehand.

Vita Coco obsession

We arrived in good time, and I collected my race number and spent a long time queuing for the toilets. I noticed that a lot of the people around me were 1. quite a bit older than me and 2. professional looking. There were a lot of people in running club vest who knew each other - I felt slightly like billy no mates! They were  all very friendly though. I did some stretching outside whilst waiting for the start. They announced a lady was there who had done 500 marathons...what a gal!

And we were off! The first mile of the course was downhill and then pretty flat, and I got carried along with the other runners. I remember thinking I had gone off way too fast. However, what goes down must come up. And come up we did! It seemed to be long hill after long hill, followed by a steep hill! I'm not sure how I managed to keep my pace fairly consistent, but I felt ok considering the inclines. There were some lovely marshals along the way who shouted encouragement such as "nearly at the top" and "there's a nice downhill bit after this". It helped at the time! 

I gave in and turned on my iPod around mile 5 - just to give me an extra boost. I also had a (sticky and melted) jelly baby which I had stashed in my pocket! There were 2 water stations on the course with people handing out plastic cups (most of which ended up down my front) which was enough for me. I had taken the advice of Whizz Kidz coach Phil and tried  to hydrate for the last week beforehand, so I didn't feel thirsty at any point. Coming up to mile 7, we ran along a long pavement which was a bit frustrating as it was single file, but when the road opened up I was able to overtake - god knows how I had anything left in my legs. I just think I was fixated on finishing, and finishing without feeling injured! 

There was one more mean hill right near the end, and then the finish was in sight. I tried to push for the final sprint finish, and was relieved and happy when I crossed the line. I was proud of my splits and time, especially on a tough course.

My mile splits, plus the medal

Everyone was given a medal, and around the corner there was a table with cups of water and bananas. I then saw my Mum and boyfriend walking over from the car park...unfortunately they thought I would be slower and so missed me cross the line! To be fair, I was  surprised at both my stamina and the capability of my dodgy knee.

We waited around for the presentation of trophies for the fastest 3 in each category, and I found out I had come 5th in the Senior Female category, which I am delighted with.


 All in all, this was good race experience and I'm glad I took part. Next up for me is the Royal Parks Half Marathon on the 12th October. 

No comments:

Post a Comment